It was serindipitous that a long-time friend of mine is in town as the Alaskan Copper River Salmon is available in stores. For dinner tonight, I made salmon with a soy-maple marinade, a fruit salad (raspberries, Rainier cherries and peaches), and rigatoni and cheese (for our salmon-averse children). The recipes…
Copper river salmon and marinade
2 T soy sauce
2 T maple syrup
2 cloves minced garlic
2 T vegetable oil
3 salmon fillets, approximately 3/4″ thick; skin’s okay because it’ll come off during cooking.
- Mix marinade. Place the salmon, meat side down, in the marinade and let sit for 30 minutes
- On a preheated grill, medium heat, cook the salmon meat side down for five minutes. (What you’re trying for is a seared top.)
- Flip over and continue cooking until the inside is done to your liking.
- The skin usually comes off very easily.
Macaroni and cheese is very easy
- Cook 1/2 pound of your favorite pasta al dente, or slightly undercooked. I recommend macaroni, penne, gemelli or rigatoni, but not zamboni.
- Drain the pasta. In the same, warm pan, on low heat, add 1 can of condensed milk and 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour the pasta back into the main pan.
- Heat and stir until the cheese is uniformly melted.