Here’s the second of Ardith’s three desserts.
Oatmeal Cake by Ardith Ketchum
1 1/2 C boiling water
1 C rolled oats
1/2 C shortening
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar
1 1/3 C flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
- Pour boiling water over oats and let stand.
- Cream shortening with sugars and eggs.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture alternately with oatmeal.
- Bake in a greased 9×13 pan for 45 minutes at 350°F
- Top with Lazy Daisy (below) topping either while still hot or after cooling.
Lazy Daisy Topping
3/8 C butter
1/2 C milk
1/2 C brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 C chopped nuts
1 C coconut
- Mix first 3 ingredients in a saucepan, and boil 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add last three ingredients and spread over the cake.
- Place under the broiler until it starts getting brown on top. Watch carefully!